Friday, July 18, 2008

How to get paint out of carpet

About a year ago I accidentally over-sprayed enamel model paint onto my apartment carpet; now it is time to move out, and time to clean up.

I hear nail-polish remover (acetone) works well, but I didn't have any one hand. I also didn't have Goo-Gone, Gojo, or anything else fancy like that.

I did have WD-40. Good stuff.

Turns out the stuff easily takes the paint out. Just spray it liberally onto the carpet, then scrub vigorously with a wet rag. Repeat. Soap on the rag doesn't hurt.

Let it dry and do it again until the paint is gone. If you have a carpet cleaner (one of those water vacuum things), use that to remove the residue, or else just rinse it and soak it up with paper towels and suck it up with a bag-less vacuum.

That is one moving day crisis averted, and one deposit saved. Go team!

No comments: